Although not common in the West Midlands, boat fires do happen on open water and canals in the region. Often, the same safety advice for the home will apply on a boat, so do make sure you visit our home safety area, too.
Here are some extra safety tips especially for boats:
- fit a gas and petrol vapour detector alarm in the bilge, and even in the cabin space, to give you early warnings of dangerous build-ups of explosive gases
- before you go to bed or leave the boat, check all appliances are turned off and, if possible, close the valve on the LPG cylinders
- always know your location so you can tell us where you are in an emergency
- refuel outboard engines or generators well away from the boat where possible
- take care when refuelling – ensure you turn off the engine and any cooking before handling fuel
- fit a CO alarm to alert you to poisonous carbon monoxide, ensuring it’s suitable for marine use and meets the EN50291-2 standard.
For more advice around boat fire safety routines, maintenance, electrical safety and carbon monoxide, go to http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/fire