Skip to main content
West Midlands Fire Service Brand Bar

Safety Hub

Sparklers

Sparklers can be fun if used safely, but they can burn at more than 1000 degrees so follow our tips to keep you and your family safe.
We're working to get British Sign Language (BSL) videos on to all of our safety pages, and hope to add one to this page soon.
Safety Category:

Sparklers are often thought of as being safe, but they generate heat levels comparable to a welding torch. Follow these helpful sparkler safety guidelines

It is recommended that sparklers are not given to under-5s.

  • Make sure everyone who handles sparklers wears gloves.
  • Sparklers should be held at arm's length while being lit and only light one at a time.
  • Don’t wave sparklers around close to other people
  • Never hold a baby in your arms while you're holding a sparkler.
  • When the sparkler has burned out, place it, hot end down, in a bucket of cold water or sand and leave it there for several hours - they stay hot for a long time!
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram