Flooding can happen anywhere. Our advice shows you what to do, at home or on the road, to stay as safe as possible.



Flooding in your home

If you have a flood in your home:

  • where it’s safe, and you can do so without standing in the water yourself, try to isolate (turn off) your electrics
  • for flooding caused by a burst pipe inside the property, turn off your household water at the stopcock (this is often under your kitchen sink)
  • if a pipe is leaking or has burst in your home, call an emergency plumber as soon as possible. We do not assist with plumbing issues
  • if flooding is from a burst water main you should contact your local water provider, such as Severn Trent
  • for flooding involving rivers and canals, this is usually due to adverse weather, you can contact your local council or environment agency for advice, or contact floodline on the number below
  • if you are experiencing flooding in your home due to heavy rainfall or other adverse weather, unless your life is at risk, you should contact floodline for advice. If you do feel there is a life risk dial 999 and ask for the fire service.
  • at any time you genuinely believe your life to be in danger because of a flood inside or outside your home, dial 999 and ask for the fire service


Driving through flood water can be very dangerous. Just a small amount of water can stop your engine. If you do become stranded, don’t try to get out of your vehicle in fast-flowing water. Call 999 and ask for the fire service.

If you can leave your vehicle safely, do so slowly and carefully. If you have one, contact your roadside recovery provider when you’re safe. The fire service does not assist in the recovery of vehicles from water.

linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram