Fire at Wolves FC’s Molineux ground

Safety plea to businesses from West Midlands Fire Service

newsmode

News

Reading time approx: 2 minutes
Published on 24 January 2022

Business owners across the West Midlands are being urged to check they have a fire risk assessment in place, following a fire at Wolverhampton Wanderers’ football ground.

And West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS) is urging members of the public to take care with electrical appliances after the blaze, which appears to have started in a dishwasher. At 1.56am on Sunday 23 January we responded to a fire at The Molineux Stadium, Waterloo Road, Wolverhampton.

Four fire engines attended, crewed by 20 firefighters from Wolverhampton, Fallings Park, Willenhall and Bilston fire stations.

The first of our crews was at the scene two minutes after being mobilised.

WMFS Area Commander Alex Shapland said: “We know that the fire has come as a shock not only to Wolves’ fans but also members of the local and footballing communities.

“Fortunately, we were alerted quickly. Our firefighters’ rapid arrival meant they were able to stop the fire spreading beyond the bar area where it started and to prevent any wider damage.

“Around a third of the bar area was damaged by the fire, which we believe started accidentally in a dishwasher.

“We’ve been blown away by the many messages of thanks we’ve had for our actions. We very much hope that the club is able to repair the damage and re-open the affected area as soon as possible.

“Many businesses never recover from having a fire, but having a fire risk assessment and business continuity plans in place can help you to avoid this. We have a team of fire safety officers who can provide expert advice.  

“We’re also urging people to take care when using any electrical appliance. Turn them off when they’re not being used, and never leave them on if you go out or to bed.   

“It’s also important that you register electrical items and appliances when you get them, so the manufacturer can contact you if there’s a safety issue or recall.”

Check out these other useful pages on our website:

Help and support with fire safety for businesses

Fire safety at home

Register your electrical items and appliances