Tyseley Factory Fire

At 5.11am on Mon 18 March we started to receive several 999 calls to a large factory fire in Tyseley, Birmingham.



Reading time approx: 2 minutes
Published on 18 March 2019

At 5.11am this morning (Mon 18 March) we started to receive several 999 calls to a large fire in Tyseley, Birmingham.

The incident involves a factory building on Hay Hall Road.

Our first crew was at the scene within two minutes of being mobilised.

Around 75 firefighters are at the scene, plus 15 fire engines, three hydraulic platforms and our high volume water pumping unit.

Station Commander Marc Hudson said: “This is a significant fire, the smoke from which can be seen for several miles.

“People who live or work nearby should keep doors and windows closed as a precaution, and drivers should avoid the area because a number of roads are closed.

“Our priorities are to extinguish the fire as quickly and safely as possible, and to prevent the fire spreading to nearby buildings.

“We are likely to be at the scene for a good part of the day.”

Update 09:05 18/03/19

Crews remain in attendance at this incident, which is believed to be a furniture storage warehouse.

15 crews with supporting and specialised resources are at the scene (approx 100 personnel).

The fire is now surrounded and crews are working to extinguish the fire.

West Midlands Police, West Midlands Ambulance and HART team are in attendance, in addition to representatives from gas and electric services, Birmingham City Council and Environment Agency.

Update 09:40 18/03/19

Incident will shortly be scaled down to 10 crews.

Update 12:35 18/03/19

Crews have confirmed the incident involved a severe factory fire, with the unit measuring 120m x 120m. It was fully involved in fire and collapsed. One hundred 999 calls were received by our Fire Control team for this incident.

A total of 25 vans, 8 cars and a portacabin were also confirmed to have been damaged by fire in an adjacent yard.

Speedwell Road is now confirmed has been opened, although other road closures by Amey are still in place.

Police are still in attendance and Ambulance crews have left the scene.

Investigations into the cause of the fire will commence shortly.

Travel Disruption

Roads in the area have now re-opened following the incident.