Keeping safe with candles
Candles can create a relaxing or special atmosphere. They also bring fire into your home. So treat them carefully. Be sure to keep a burning candle in sight, and extinguish them before leaving a room or going to sleep.
- never burn a candle on, or near, anything that can catch fire
- keep them out of the reach of children and pets, and away from anywhere they might knock them over
- place burning candles at least three inches apart so they don’t melt one another or create draughts that can cause the candles to flare
- always use a sturdy, heat-resistant candle holder on a heat-resistant surface that’s big enough to contain drips and melted wax
- keep burning candles away from draughts, vents, ceiling fans and air currents. Draughts could also blow lightweight items into a flame where they could catch fire.
Putting them out
Extinguishing candles with water could be dangerous. It might cause hot wax to splatter, which could cause a glass container to break. Instead, use a metal spoon or a snuffer. Make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick is no longer glowing before leaving the room. Never use a candle as a night light. Never touch or move a burning candle when the wax is liquid.