Flat fire in Coventry high rise

A number of people evacuated to nearby church, but others able to stay in homes



Published on 30 September 2023
This incident is closed

Samuel Vale House, Saint Nicholas Street, Coventry, UK

Around 50 firefighters have extinguished a severe flat fire on the 11th floor of a Coventry high rise.

Staffordshire and West Midlands Fire Control started to receive multiple 999 calls at 4.12pm on Saturday 30 September, reporting a fire in the 16-storey Samuel Vale House on St Nicholas Street in Radford.

Several fire engines, 4×4 brigade response vehicles and a hydraulic aerial platform responded, with the first crew arriving within five minutes.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus successfully extinguished the fire, which was confirmed to be out by 5.40pm.

The fire affected all of the flat in which it broke out, with smoke spreading to some flats above.

We evacuated a number of people from their flats, but several were able to stay in their homes. Those evacuated are being looked after in a nearby church.

St Nicholas Road remained closed as of 6pm, when plans were being made to reduce our resources at the scene.

Police and ambulance colleagues have also been in attendance, and we are liaising closely with Citizen Housing.

View latest updates

Updates for this incident


Firefighters led two people to safety from inside the building. They were assessed by paramedics and discharged at the scene.

We are now working with Citizen Housing to allow people who were evacuated back into their homes.

Our resources at the scene have been reduced, but a number of fire crews remain.

Our investigators are working to establish how the fire started.


We believe this fire started accidentally as a result of an electric bike battery being left on charge.

Back to top