Firefighters rescued a man from his second-floor flat, after rubbish was deliberately set alight on the landing outside.
Crews from Sheldon, Ward End and Solihull fire stations responded to a three-storey block in Sheldon Heath Road, Garretts Green at 7.37pm on Thursday night (1 Dec).
They wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel to extinguish the fire, which smoke-logged the entire second floor.
The rescued man was checked over at the scene by the ambulance service.
Our crews had left the scene by 11.15pm.