RE: FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 REQUEST
I am writing to confirm that the West Midlands Fire Service has now completed its search for the information you requested further to your freedom of information request.
Please find below a summary of our findings.
Our research project study firefighters’ demographics, lifestyle and wider characteristics linked to their life expectancy.
To proceed, we need to know the overall Firefighter’s population which includes firefighters who left the service from West Midlands Fire Service.
• Can you please confirm you have data?
All Uniformed Staff
Female – 176
Male – 1187
Total – 1363
Female – 131
Male – 678
Total – 809
• Can you please confirm if I included all Fire and Rescue Services you cover? (If not, can you please specify which I missed, and include them as well)
West Midlands Fire Service is the headquarters, covering the following stations:
• Will it be possible to obtain from you the total number of male pensioners (firefighters) you have in each of the age groups specified below in each year (2000-2021) who you pay a pension to because of firefighter service (please see the Table below). Please use one table for all the Services (add them all up) and include any missed from my list.
We do not hold any further historical information of pensioners by age each year.
Please see attached (under Current Pensioners Tab)
• If possible, to provide numbers how many of the pension scheme members (male firefighters) died each year for 2000 to 2021 (as a total number -not divided by age categories).
Please use one table for all the Services (add them all up) and include any missed from my list.
Please see attached (under Pensioner Deaths tab)
• Finally, can you please confirm whether in your pension scheme you include also: retained duty system firefighters (on-call) and fire control (operators)?
We do not have retained Firefighters or retained Fire Control operators, therefore we do not have the pension scheme.
If you have any queries about this Freedom of Information request, please contact us. Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.
For service complaints, issues or comments regarding this request please contact The Public Relations Department, West Midlands Fire Service, 99 Vauxhall Road, Birmingham, B7 4HW
Further information concerning Freedom of Information requests can be found on the Information Commissioner website at either the following link: https://ico.org.uk/ or at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF.