Candle Safety

Candles can create a relaxing or special atmosphere. They also bring fire into your home. So treat them carefully. Be sure to keep a burning candle in sight, and extinguish them before leaving a room or going to sleep.


It might sound simple, but never burn a candle on or near anything that can catch fire. And keep them out of the reach of children and pets, or anywhere they might knock them over! Place burning candles at least three inches apart to ensure they won’t melt one another, or create drafts that can cause the candles to flare. Always use a sturdy, heat-resistant candleholder on a heat-resistant surface that is large enough to contain drips and melted wax. Before you light, trim wicks to ¼ inch each time – long or crooked wicks could cause uneven burning and dripping. Make sure you burn candles in a well-ventilated room, and don’t burn too many in a small room or ‘tight’ home where air exchange is limited. To prevent rapid, uneven burning, and to avoid flame flare-ups and sooting, keep burning candles away from drafts, vents, ceiling fans and air currents. Drafts could also blow lightweight items into a flame where they could catch fire.


Don’t burn a candle all the way down. Instead, extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the holder or container or when 2 inches of wax remain. Have a look at the manufacturer’s instructions and don’t burn them for longer than their recommendations. Also keep the match pool free of wick trimmings, matches and debris. Be very careful if using candles during a power cut – flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light.


Did you know extinguishing candles with water could be dangerous? It might cause hot wax to splatter which could cause a glass container to break. Instead, use a metal spoon or a snuffer. Make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick is no longer glowing before leaving the room. Never use a candle as a night light. Never touch or move a burning candle when the wax is liquid.