A support group for people living with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) has received a £500 boost, thanks to one of our contractors.
Back in June 2016 we announced our support for ‘TWIRL’ (The Wolverhampton Integrated Respiratory Lifestyle) project, which helps COPD sufferers to cope with their condition, to socialise and to have access to advice and support from healthcare professionals.
The group has now received £500 towards its running costs from Three Pines Building Co Ltd as part of our own Social Value link up with the firm.
We were among TWIRL’s original supporting partners, alongside Wolverhampton Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), The Royal Wolverhampton NHS Trust, Compton Hospice, Wolves Community Trust and Age UK Wolverhampton.
Claire Morrissey, Solutions and Development Manager at Wolverhampton CCG said: “We were quite concerned at the number of patients with home oxygen equipment who hadn’t received a Safe and Well check from West Midlands Fire Service, so their initial involvement in the group was invaluable.”
Our firefighters regularly give safety talks to the group’s 50-plus members. They meet on Wednesdays between 12noon and 3.30pm at the Goodyear Pavilion Club, Stafford Road, Wolverhampton, WV10 6AJ.
Some of the activities on offer include:
* bingo, quizzes, cards, dominoes and raffles
* music and other creative activities
* talks on a range of topics including breathlessness and relaxation techniques
* the chance to mix with other group members and make new friends
* an opportunity to get advice and support on coping with the effects of respiratory diseases from a variety of healthcare professionals
* carers also very welcome.
If you’d like to speak to someone before attending, you can contact Denise Pritchard or Eileen Parkes on 07887 705131 or 01902 751188, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org