Skip to main content

Snuff ’em out!

By 15th October 2018February 5th, 2021No Comments
A candle with the wick smoking just after being put out

More than a third of reported accidental fires, started by candles in the home, result in death or injury.

We’re urging people to ‘snuff out the risk’ this Candle Fire Safety Week (15-21 Oct) and beyond.

Pete Wilson, our Head of Community Safety, said: “Candles are a welcoming sight in many homes, giving an atmospheric glow to cold winter nights. But they could lead to a trail of devastation, especially if you leave them unattended.

“We’re asking people to think twice about using candles at all. But, if you must, please follow our safety tips.

“Even after taking precautions it’s vital to be prepared should the worst happen. Working smoke alarms can give you vital time to get out, stay out and call 999.

“Keep you and your loved ones safe by testing your alarms regularly and practising your escape routes.”

Only use products designed for use in your burners – and never leave them unattended when lit

How to use candles safely:

  • never leave lit candles unattended. Make sure burning candles are put completely out when you leave the room and when you go to sleep
  • position candles on a stable surface, out of the reach of children and pets, and away from flammable objects like curtains, furniture, bedding and books.
  • don’t move candles once they’re lit
  • never burn several candles close together, which could result in a much larger flare
  • burn them in a well-ventilated room, but out of drafts, vents or air currents to prevent rapid or uneven burning, soot, and dripping
  • always put scented candles in a heat-resistant holder. These candles are designed to liquefy when lit to maximise fragrance.