We are the licensing authority for explosives and petroleum within the West Midlands. Find out more about licensing and how to apply for them using the links below.

Explosives Licence

You can keep up to 50 kg (net) of Hazard Type 4 fireworks for no longer than 21 days without the need for a licence, provided that these are not for sale or for use at work. This is intended to help private individuals and voluntary organisations that wish to organise a larger firework display. (Hazard Type 4 fireworks are the types of less powerful fireworks generally sold at retailers).

If you wish to use the fireworks for a commercial display or for some other work activity, you can keep up to 100kg of hazard type 3 fireworks for up to 5 consecutive days without the need for a licence, provided they are kept in their place of intended use.

If you wish to store a larger quantity of fireworks, or more powerful fireworks then you will need to apply for a licence, within the West Midlands area this is done through us and you can use the button below to see the application process.

Petroleum Certificate

You can only legally store up to 30 litres of petrol for domestic purposes. To store more petrol and for business storage, a petroleum certificate is required. The costs of the certificate are dependant on the storage quantity.

For the West Midlands area, we are responsible for issuing Petroleum certificates and payments and applications for certificates need to be submitted to us.

For more details on applying for a licence as well as costs for the licence, please use the button below.