RE: FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 REQUEST
I am writing to confirm that the West Midlands Fire Service has now completed its search for the information you requested on 5th December 2018.
Please find below a summary of our findings.
- How many firefighters have been cautioned for rushing into burning buildings in an attempt to save lives?
- How many firefighters have been sacked or disciplined for rushing into burning buildings in an attempt to save lives?
- How many firefighters have been given awards for heroism after saving lives during fires?
- Please provide case/ incident notes for those who were disciplined or sacked after rushing into burning buildings.
- Please provide information about the event for each firefighter who has been given an award for bravery.
Please provide figures for the last three years (2016, 2017 and 2018 to date) in a yearly breakdown.
If it is not possible to answer this request in its entirety due to one or more questions exceeding the cost of compliance limits identified in Section 12, please answer the ones that do not exceed the limits and disregard the ones that do.
WMFS has had no firefighter that have been given awards for heroism saving lives during fires for the period of 2016 to 2018. However a lot of the recognition awards that we have given out are not for rescues from having saved lives in fires they have been more around actions at other incidents. This does however not mean that rescues have not taken place.
2016 – 5 recognised in the Operational Excellence category at our WMFS own Rewards and Recognition.
2017 – Non recognised for saving lives during a fire
2018 – 6 recognised at the Community Inspiration Awards hosted by the Community Foundation
If you have any queries about this Freedom of Information request, please contact me. Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications. If you are unhappy with the service you have received in relation to your request and wish to make a complaint or request a review of our decision please write to The Public Relations Department, West Midlands Fire Service, 99 Vauxhall Road, Birmingham, B7 4HW
Further information concerning Freedom of Information requests can be found on the Information Commissioner website at either the following link: https://ico.org.uk/ or at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF.