RE: FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 REQUEST
I am writing to confirm that the West Midlands Fire Service has now completed its search for the information you requested further to your freedom of information request.
Please find below a summary of our findings.
I would like to request a yearly breakdown of the number of times your fire service were called out to extinguish a barbecue, or were called out to tackle an incident caused by a barbecue (e.g. called to extinguish a fire in a park, beach or woodland caused by a barbecue) in 2020 and 2021.
The following summarises barbecue related incidents between 001/01/2020 and 30/04/2021 (we have yet to finalise/QA May 2021 incidents, so these have not been included).
Between 01/01/2020 and 30/04/2021 WMFS attended 38 incidents where barbecues were recorded as the source of ignition or property type involved.
- 33 incidents required firefighting action by WMFS crews including use of main jets, hose reels etc..
- 35 incidents occurred during 2020 (full calendar year).
- 3 incidents have been recorded during 2021 (Jan-Apr).
- 20 incidents were recorded as primary fires. Of these, 15 incidents involved dwellings, domestic garages, or private domestic buildings and structures (e.g. sheds)
- 18 incidents were recorded as secondary fires. Of these, 13 incidents were recorded as general (secondary fire) outdoor locations, 5 incidents were recorded on parkland.
If you have any queries about this Freedom of Information request, please contact us. Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.
For service complaints, issues or comments regarding this request please contact The Public Relations Department, West Midlands Fire Service, 99 Vauxhall Road, Birmingham, B7 4HW
Further information concerning Freedom of Information requests can be found on the Information Commissioner website at either the following link: https://ico.org.uk/ or at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF.