RE: FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000 REQUEST
West Midlands Fire Service has now completed its search for the information requested on 8th December 2020
Please find below a summary of our findings.
1) Does the fire service deploy drones or unmanned aerial vehicles?
Not at the moment.
2) If a yes, what drones do they possess?
We currently have on lease the DJI Mavic 2 Enterprise which will be trialled on a 12 month programme.
3) Where were the drones purchased from and for how much?
We have not purchased drones. The Drones are leased from COLENA LTD T/A HELIGUY. Please find link below to West Midlands Fire Service website and the details of costs are available on the Authority’s transparency report.
4) Who is the relevant person(s) in charge of the drone programme?
With regards for the contact details of relevant person(s) in charge of the drone programme operates a single point of contact policy via HQ general contacts on 0330 058 9000. The call will be directed to and allocated to the specialist with responsibility for the specific service. There is a direct email address for suppliers making sales enquires email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Furthermore, guidance from the Information Commissioner’s Office is as follows:
- The presumption is in favour of protecting privacy, so the release of personal information will only be fair if there is a genuine reason to disclose. This involves a three-stage test. A public authority will generally have to satisfy itself that:
- There is a legitimate interest in disclosure;
- The legitimate interest can only be met, or fully met, by the disclosure of information which identifies individuals (i.e. the disclosure is necessary to that purpose); and, the disclosure would not involve unwarranted detriment to the individual’s privacy or other rights and legitimate interests.
- You can find out more about FOI exemptions from the Information Commissioner’s Office. This will explain which one or more of the FOI exemptions applies, and tell you how to appeal if you disagree with our decision
If you have any queries about this freedom of information request, please contact us. Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.
For service complaints, issues or comments regarding this request please contact The Public Relations Department, West Midlands Fire Service, 99 Vauxhall Road, Birmingham, B7 4HW
Further information concerning Freedom of Information requests can be found on the Information Commissioner website at either the following link: https://ico.org.uk/ or at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF.