Fatal house fire

By September 13, 2017News

We’re very sad to confirm that a pensioner has died in a fire in Birmingham.

We received a 999 call at 1.36pm today (Wed 13 Sept) reporting the fire at a detached house in Chesterwood Road, King’s Heath.

A 92-year-old man died at the scene. His wife, also in her early 90s, was rescued by firefighters from the first floor of the property. She is being treated in hospital for the effects of breathing in smoke.

At this stage it appears that the fire started accidentally, in the kitchen.

Station Commander Kevin Eaves said: “This is a very sad incident and our thoughts are with the family and all affected.

“Our fire control mobilised the first fire engine in just 34 seconds, and the first crew arrived from Billesley Community Fire Station in three minutes. Firefighters from Kings Norton also attended

“Sadly, despite their prompt arrival and actions at the scene, the man passed away. Our crews will be given any support they need following this tragic event.”

S/Cdr Eaves added: “Our investigators believe that the fire started accidentally. It appears that smoke alarms were fitted in the house, but without batteries.

“We will be preparing a report for HM Coroner. In the meantime, we need to stress the importance of having working smoke alarms fitted on every level of your home. You should test them every week.

“If you know anyone who might not be able to test their alarms themselves, please do it for them. And if you’re concerned about the safety of someone in their West Midlands home, please call us to arrange a free Safe and Well visit on 0800 389 5525.”

css.php
Accessibility
Accessibility