Station Commanders’ Paul Kitchen and Steve Harris attended Hamstead Hall Academy on 22 November to present a Certificate and Letter of Commendation to DeQuawn Davies, aged 15, for his quick thinking and bravery in ensuring the safety of his Mum and Sister during an incident at their home in Handsworth.
DeQuawn woke to the family home’s smoke detector going off, with a smell of smoke in the property. He tried to alert his mother, who remained asleep, so he quickly roused his 1 year old sister, dressed her, then returned to wake his Mum to get them both safely out of the property. He then called the Fire Service who promptly attended.
On arrival of the fire crews it was determined that the smoke had been caused by unattended cooking at a neighbouring property, which was full of smoke. This property had no smoke detectors and the family, sleeping heavily, had not been alerted to the fire until our crews had arrived.
Since the incident, our crews have conducted Safe and Well visits and fitted smoke detectors in properties in the neighbourhood to ensure residents safety.
The quick thinking of DeQuawn not only saved the lives of his young sister and Mum, but also the family in the neighbouring property, who may have all been lost if not for his swift and brave actions.
Well done DeQuawn!
If you do not have smoke detectors in your property, please contact our Home Safety Centre on 0800 389 5525 who can book an appointment for us to attend your home.