Press Releases

Thursday, February 11, 2016 - 15:00 - Fire Authority budget

Less than 2p extra a week - that’s what most Council Tax payers in the West Midlands could be asked to pay for their fire service in 2016/17, if a report to West Midlands Fire and Rescue Authority (WMFRA) is approved.

At the next full meeting of WMFRA on Monday (15 Feb), members will consider a proposed budget which would mean the fire service part of Band D Council Tax bills in the...

Monday, February 8, 2016 - 16:45 - 30 years' service

Firefighters and support staff who this year complete three decades' service with West Midlands Fire Service have been presented with 30 Year Service Awards.

Chief Fire Officer Phil Loach and Coun John Edwards, Chair of West Midlands Fire and Rescue Authority, presented awards during a ceremony at WMFS HQ in Birmingham.

The award citation reads: "This award is made in...

Thursday, February 4, 2016 - 09:30 - Mental health pledge

West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS) has signed a pledge to show its commitment to tackling mental health stigma at work.

Organisations who sign up to the pledge agree to promote a better understanding of mental health problems while offering support and wellbeing advice to their staff and volunteers.

WMFS joins a growing number of emergency service employers and associations that...

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 - 12:30 - Food for thought

West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS) is urging people to make cooking and fire safety top priorities next week, when Chinese New Year, Shrove Tuesday and Valentine’s Day fall within just a few days of each other.

Last year over half of all accidental fires in the home were linked to cooking, which is why WMFS is urging people to take care with their February celebrations. A forgotten wok...

Friday, January 22, 2016 - 12:45 - Clothing appeal

Organisers of a West Midlands Fire Service charity clothing collection are set to repeat it, following its success.

More than 80 less fortunate people received coats and other clothing which were handed out by firefighters and WMFS staff at Ladywood Community Fire Station on 2 December.

Candy Woods, who works as an administrator at WMFS HQ, said: “We’d like to thank everyone who...

Thursday, January 14, 2016 - 12:00 - Acid incident

At 8.51am this morning (Thurs 14 Jan 2016) we received a 999 call to industrial premises on the Watery Lane Industrial Estate in Willenhall, Walsall.

An acid tank at the scene, containing an estimated 35,000 litres of diluted hydrochloric acid, had collapsed. We believe that the premises specialise in galvanising.

No-one is believed to have been hurt and the cause of the...

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 15:15 - Burner warning

West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS) is urging people not to use laundry fragrance beads in aromatherapy burners, after a small but potentially serious house fire.

Crews who attended the incident in Yardley, Birmingham found that the occupier had left a lit burner unattended on the corner of a bath, heating the beads to release their scent. It caught fire while she was out of the room....

Monday, January 11, 2016 - 09:30 - Testing, testing!

West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS) is urging residents to regularly test their smoke alarms and those of people they care for, as a new Government campaign champions the life-saving devices as ‘unsung heroes’.

The advertising campaign is running throughout January, in a bid to counter the annual winter rise in fire-related emergencies and deaths.

Ads will feature smoke alarms...

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 22:30 - Sean Moore OBE

A West Midlands firefighter has been awarded an OBE in the New Year Honours list for his services to national and international search and rescue.

Group Commander Sean Moore (49), who has spent most of his career based in Coventry where he was brought up, says he is “humbled and honoured” to have been awarded.

His OBE recognises his dedication to search and rescue which, over...

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 - 11:45 - Snuff out the risk

People who use candles or give them as gifts are being warned by West Midlands Fire Service not to ignore the maker’s instructions.

It follows a member of the public waking up in a smoke-damaged room, with a sore throat - because they hadn’t properly snuffed out a candle when they went to bed.

Investigations and tests by the WMFS Fire Investigation and Prevention Section (FIPS)...

Pages