Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide - What is it? Why is it a problem?

Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas created when fossil fuels such as natural  gas and solid fuels like charcoal and wood fail to combust fully, due to a lack of oxygen. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.

BBQ’s, both charcoal or gas, give off carbon monoxide fumes. Never take a smouldering or lit BBQ into a rent, caravan or cabin. Even if you have finished cooking, your BBQ will give off fumes for hours after use.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors measure CO levels in the atmosphere. The device will sound an alarm to warn you to ventilate the area immediately if fumes are at an unhealthy level. Portable, battery powered CO alarms can be purchased, to use when camping, caravanning and travelling

Use an audible CO alarm. It should be marked to EN 50291 and also have the British Standards' Kitemark or another European approval organisation's mark on it. CO alarms usually have a battery life of up to 5 years.You can purchase a CO Alarm from a reputable  DIY store, supermarket or from your energy provider.

Carbon Monoxide Leaflet